The chronic pain of fibromyalgia is a daily reality for 2 – 4 % of the U.S. population. Fibromyalgia remains a largely misunderstood condition. Fibromyalgia sufferers sometimes feel alienated since others assume that their condition is merely ‘a few sore muscles.’ Nothing could be further from the truth. Fibromyalgia effects the quality of life of many or our friends and neighbors here in Leesburg VA because it is more than muscular tenderness.
Here is a short list of many of the symptoms the fibromyalgia patients experience on a daily basis:
- The body aches all over. The pain involves all four quadrants of the body.
- Uncontrollable muscle twitches are not uncommon.
- Muscle burning. This is beyond the general ache and can indicate nerve involvement.
- Sleep disorder. Many fibromyalgia patients can fall asleep but do not achieve deep restful sleep.
- Fatigue. This is caused by a combination of poor sleep and constant pain.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Chronic headaches.
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ symptoms). Jaw pain is present in 25% of fibromyalgia patients. It’s appearance may be the result of poor sleep pattern. Pain during sleep may cause jaw clenching and teeth grinding which is a common cause of TMJ disorders.
- Numbness and tingling throughout the extremities.
- Dizziness and lightheadedness are not uncommon. This too may relate to sleep disturbances.
How Do You Know If You Have Fibromyalgia?
The classic medical diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia is the evaluation of 18 points on the body. Points are said to be tender if they are not red or swollen but are tender to the touch. If 11 out of the 18 are tender the patient is diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The points evaluated are located on both sides of the body.
Since most fibromyalgia patients do not have a degree in anatomy, the following was written in English with an accompanying diagram for easy reference:
- Back of the head where the head meets the neck
- Lower neck in the front of the body.
- Upper chest in the front of the body, specifically over the 2nd ribs.
- Outside of the elbow
- Inside of the knee
- Upper back on the back of the body. Specifically the trapezius muscle, commonly called ‘the traps’.
- Just above the shoulder blade toward the middle of the body. Specifically this is the supraspinatus muscle.
- The very top of the buttocks. Called the gluteal region.
- The back of the top of leg. Specifically this is the greater trochanter, or the hard bone you can feel on outside of your thigh.
Fibromyalgia Treatment Options
You have to find the therapy that works best for you. At Fink Family Wellness of Leesburg we offer a variety of treatment options that have delivered results to fibromyalgia patients. Your specific fibromylagia treatment plan may or may not include:
Massage – Massage reduces the pain in the fibromyalgia tender points. This is a result of stimulating blood flow and increasing the release of endorphins. Endorphins are the body’s own feel good chemical. After a therapeutic massage, many fibromyalgia patients report a reduction of stress and improvement in sleep patterns.
Chiropractic – Chiropractic works by realigning joints that are creating nerve interference. This condition, called a subluxation is often an underlying cause of pain and muscle spasm. Chiropractic care reverses negative patterns in the body and promotes vitality and health. At Fink Family Wellness of Leesburg, chiropractic care also includes the treatment of the joints in the arms and legs.
Acupuncture – Acupuncture has established protocols for many of the problems that plague fibromyalgia patients. These include chronic pain and sleep disorders.
Nutrition – Proper nutrition is a critical factor in managing fibromyalgia and other inflammatory conditions. Eating smart to de-flaming the body has helped many fibromyalgia patients.
Free Fibromyalgia Evaluation
If you live in the Leesburg area and seeking relief from fibromyalgia pain, we’d like to partner with you to develop the best possible personalized fibromyalgia treatment program. Call 703-779-7909 today to set up a no-obligation consultation. One of our expert fibromyalgia doctors will be happy to meet with you and help you decide what treatment will work best.
Fink Family Wellness of Leesburg
In The Heart of Loudoun County, Virginia
15B Loudoun Street SW, Leesburg, VA 20158